Re: What are the needed Arabized applications?

--- Muhammad Alkarouri <karouri at uofk dot edu> wrote:
> For the distro project we would like to know which packages would you
> like to see in an Arabic-friendly distro; so we can include them in the
> application lists.

Excellent !!

> Please include the following information about any suggested package:
> - Category (editor/browser/officeware/etc)
> - Name (katoob/mozilla/etc)
> - Degree of importance (one of: critical/important/good/nice)
> - Status with respect to Arabic
> - preferably, the version

The rating I'm using,
  5 - Must have
  4 - Critical (very much in need of this)
  3 - Important to have (need this)
  2 - Nice to include
  1 - Of Interest

Name		: mlterm
Version		: 2.7.0+
Category	: terminal emulator
Importance	: A Must (5/5)
Status		: Shaping and Bidi support; some minor bugs remain

Name		: Fribidi
Version		: 0.10.4+
Category	: bidi library
Importance	: A Must (5/5); requirement for lots of other apps
Status		: Shaping missing

Name		: Duali
Version		: 0.1.1 (Elzubeir ?)
Category	: Spell Checker
Importance	: A Must (5/5)
Status		: Functional yet user-interface is not polished

Name		: Vim
Version		: 6.2+
Category	: Editor
Importance	: A Must (5/5)
Status		: Arabic fully functional (includes Arabeyes' patches)

Name		: Katoob
Version		: 0.3.5
Category	: Editor
Importance	: Critical (4/5)
Status		: Fully functional

Name		: KCAST fonts
Version		: 1.4
Category	: fonts
Importance	: Critical (4/5)
Status		: Fully functional

Name		: Khotot fonts
Version		: 1.0
Category	: fonts
Importance	: Critical (4/5); adds variety
Status		: Fully functional

Name		: fvwm
Version		: 2.5.7+
Category	: Window Manager
Importance	: important (3/5); for those not using KDE/Gnome
Status		: Arabic Fully functional

This is what I could this think of at the moment (I'm very sure
this is _not_ an exhaustive list - there are more apps that need
to be included, I'm positive).  I'll try to mail (or accumulate
this info) for later publication as well.

I would like to see a reply from everyone to get an exhaustive list
of what we'd like to see in distros (this is a VERY serious matter
that none should take lightly, so reply NOW).  There are plenty of
you out there that complained about Arabic support in various distros,
well this is your chance to make a difference - note here what it
is that you'd like to see in these distros (Arabic related software
only, please).