Re: Arabic Native-Lang Project for OpenOffice.org ?

Nadim, Ossama,

it turns out you both have a point. Actually, it is true that the first job would be to set up such a web site section, but this section only has a sense if you have/develop a real community of users, developpers and marketers of OpenOffice.org in Arabic.
Indeed, the es project  (Hispanic Native-Lang Project) is very interesting for you, as you can get some inspiration in regard of the content, but also because Hispanic world is large, just like the Arabic one, and that you have to deal with many people/businesses who live from very remote locations from one each other, and this without any particular focus on just one country (as the Native-Lang focuses on languages, not on countries) See how they work together.

Now, let me explain to you what you should do in order to get your project registered and started:

-Post an official request on dev at native-lang dot openoffice dot org and discuss at openoffice dot org, introducing yourself, the arab community, OpenOffice.org in Arabic countries, etc..
Some questions, including from me and Louis, may arise.
-A vote then takes place. Actually it's a rather informal one, sometimes there are none, and it really doesn't mean anything.
-We then set up the domain name.  It is usually the initials of the international code for the language, "ar" as it seems.  Once this is set up, you'll be able to upload your content, create the mailing lists.
- You should use these templates: http://native-lang.openoffice.org/servlets/ProjectDownloadList  to build the fixed part of the web site (the one that actually never changes
-When everything's ready we will annouce the project publicly.

Also, don't hesitate to browse our web site for more info on how to upload content through ssh2, etc...

Don't hesitate to contact me for further information.

Charles-H. Schulz.

Nadim Shaikli wrote:
--- Ossama Khayat <ossama at linuxmail dot org> wrote:

Charles-H.Schulz wrote:

Ossama,

I've discovered through your post of this morning the "Arabeyes"
project, and I must say that I was very impressed by it.

Glad to hear that, and I hope you could support our language.

I was wondering
if you or somebody else from Arabeyes would be willing to start a
Native-Lang project in Arabic. A native-lang project represents the
community of users, developpers and marketers of Openoffice.org in one
specific language, but is different from the localization project that
focuses on translating the software (although both projects work
closely) For more info on this topic please visit
http://native-lang.openoffice.org

What do you think?

Well, the project seems so nice. I'd be personally interested in testing
and marketing the product here in Kuwait, and maybe other members of the
group would support by development and/or testing as well (that's why I
sent a copy to the group as well.

Ossama, not to talk on behalf of Charles but I think he meant he wanted
someone to take over (or help) in setting up an Arabic Openoffice (OO)
project  page (in UTF-8 please :-) -- something akin to,

   http://ar.openoffice.org   (NOTE - this does NOT exist _yet_)
 similar to
   http://es.openoffice.org   (Spanish)

And Charles, I think starting such a page would be ideal to bring various
open Arabic issues to light and ultimately to closure.

Ossama up for it (to setup the page at a min) ?

Regards,