Re: rambles ;)

On Tue, 25 Dec 2001 18:53:14 +0200
 "Youssef Adnan" <Youssef dot Adnan at itworx dot com> wrote:

[snip snip]

> Why will they change to Linux? We have to give them reasons.
>
> Let's not target the common user now. They're relaxed with what they
> have. I was very happy to see Linux getting on more servers here in
> Egypt. I was extremely happy when I saw it gaining more grounds in
> Universities. And this is where we should stress: Universities and
> schools. Those are the decision makers of the near future. We've already
> passed the point of whether to use Linux or not. Linux wasn't known to
> most of the people in the Arab world three or four years ago. Now it is.
> You won't find one that doesn't know it. The point is: let's get the
> people who can advertise for it to increase. Those are easily located in
> the nearest University. Let's hold sessions for those people. I'd like
> to give you one more hint: You will be surprised by the number of Arabic
> speaking magazines that would like to get words about Linux from the
> experts. Get the address of a magazine and write them, check it out!
> When I did this in the past, I ended up with a series of five articles.
> One of them described how to install SuSE Linux in 13 pages. You can do
> this too guys. It took me less than five hours with a friend of mine to
> get the article ready with screenshots.

Youssef - I agree with you on this fully and would certainly like to
request your assistance in this regard.  It is rather difficult to
get an audience (or an email address) of a person in the university
or educational institution that would listen and engage in a dialog
regarding this issue (if you have some links or thoughts, please share
them with me privately).  The same could be said about magazines - we
are somewhat "unconnected" when it comes to that and would really
appreciate any input or contact you might have (again, mail me privately
with your thoughts).

We are trying to be as agnostic as possible with regard to the various
distro's out there.  Our thoughts are that ALL distro's should have
Arabic support and we are working slowly towards that end (we REALLY
need more software developers/coders/hackers :-)

I await to hear back from you regarding these issues/matters.

> Linux doesn't need more power. It only needs advertising! We don't need
> more power, we only need to unite!

Agreed - but I don't think we are working on "more power"; we're trying
to raise awareness and introduce Arabic support to linux/unix in general.