Re: Translation of Firefox 3.0

Salam,

I will take security folder.

On 9/27/07, Ayman Hourieh <ayman dot lists at gmail dot com> wrote:
On 9/26/07, Mohamed Magdy <mohamed dot m dot k at gmail dot com> wrote:

> Because  someday, It will be activated..AFAIR .. Nadim is/was worried of
> people not getting accoustmed to subversion which could lead to disruption.
> But I think the transition could be made easily, subversion simplifies
> things and its commands are pretty much similar to those of CVS (AFAIK).

I see. Thanks for the clarification.

> You can organize  everything in that directory then if needed, move it
> later.

OK, did so. The files are available at:
http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/translate/mozilla/firefox/3.0/

Here are some rough estimations of the numbers of untranslated strings:

* browser/
** chrome/browser 300
** chrome/help 350
** [Everything else under browser] 50

* dom/
** dom/layout 200
** [Everything else under dom] 200

* security 280

* toolkit/
** chrome/mozapps 200
** chrome/global 600
** [Everything else under toolkit] 100

We will work under a first-come first-served policy. So those who want
to contribute, please pick up a dir, post here to let us know, and
start translating! Of course, we can split up dirs if there is enough
demand.

Contributors, please keep in mind that:

* Mozilla hasn't announced any deadlines yet, but I think we have
enough time. I will post deadlines as soon as they are announced at
the dev-l10n list:

* The priority of browser/chrome/help is very low. We can ship an
official release without it, so leave it until we are done with
everything else.

* I used a PO compendium while migrating the files from 2.0. However,
it's still a good idea to use the translation memory feature found in
many PO editors. Sometimes msgids change, files get renamed, strings
change slightly ... etc.

* A string consisting of a single character is either a command key
(ctrl+key) or an accelerator key (alt+key). You can tell one from the
other by looking at the msgid or comment of the string. Command keys
must NOT be translated; leave them as they are. On the other hand,
accelerator keys must be translated. Try to select a character that
already exists in the corresponding string, and try to avoid
generating conflicts. For example, choose ط as the accelerator of
اطبع. I know this is common sense for most of us, but new contributors
to the Mozilla project often wonder why there are single-letter
strings.

* The translator guide also contains important information for translators:
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/guide/translator-guide-en/

Let's get to work. I will start with browser/chrome/browser.

Sincerely,

-Ayman