Re: Ubuntu Arabic Support

> Chances are you guys know about this and already working on it as I
> see Ossama's name on some of the files in the link posted above.  I am

This is mostly because several files in Ubuntu.....come from Debian
and thus reflect Ossama's work to translate the installer and related
packages.

There is currently a complex discussion in Debian about adopting a
central tool similar to Rosetta. We currently cannot easily use
Rosetta itself because some parts of it are not released under a free
licence by Canonical.

So, for instance, we cannot build a Debian's Rosetta....and working
with Ubuntu's Rosetta would lead to a major clash, I guess....

This explains why, even if we often collaborate with Ubuntu as widely
as possible (see the installer work), this is currently not possible
on that issue.....*at this moment*.

However, an i18n meeting is scheduled next September in Spain where I
expect we can sort out such issues and have some good work done on a
central infrastructure for Debian i18n.

One of the requirements I will personnally put for it will be the
ability to easily interact with translation teams infrastructure, for
instance the Arabeyes infrastructure.