Re: Virtual ما رأيكم بترجمة

> Thanks To Evolution, That this World Is Not The Same 1400 Years Ago.

This is a good thing, we are imprinting new (common) meanings into our words, this will make it easier to use fosh'a words in every day life(who would have used iftiradi or wahmi when talking about computers? i never have)

> a last thing, how many member have a dictionnary near him ??
moi, ich, ani, me. though all of them are virtual....

I think this discussion won't lead nowhere if we don't also discuss what word to use for default. if we can solve the "default" problem, we can reach a solution for "virtual" more easily.

One thing i would not like to see: (arabic)default=(arabic)virtual. but if we can change default to some other better suited word, then iftiradi would be sure to take it's place as the rightful meaning for virtual.

so let's start:
de·fault (d-fôlt )
n.
  1. Failure to perform a task or fulfill an obligation, especially failure to meet a financial obligation: in default on a loan.
  2. Law. Failure to make a required court appearance.
  3. The failure of one or more competitors or teams to participate in a contest: won the championship by default.
    1. Computer Science. A particular setting or value for a variable that is assigned automatically by an operating system and remains in effect unless canceled or overridden by the operator: changed the default for the font in the word processing program.
    2. A situation or condition that obtains in the absence of active intervention.
now it seems that 4a and 4b are only for computer science, which means that the world default had another meaning in english before computers emerged(1,2,3 are those meanings i guess). My arabic dictionary gives me the word "taqseer" for default, which is failure.

The word used is always associated with failure, so the guy who used this word probably thought "the default values are used in case of all other stuff fails" (restore default values) or "if the user fails to interact with the machine, we'll use those values, let's call them the default".

Now the arabic word for default(iftiradi) has something to do with guessing and supposing, which is closer to today's meaning of default(the system trying to guess the most common/safe values), which is actually a good thing IMHO.

So our problem is finding a more suitable word that "iftiradi" for default so we can use "iftiradi" for virtual and on the way there we can also change the whole arabic translation standard. In my opinion, we should use the word "Wahmi" for virtual as it comes quite close to the describtion we need(in computer science, not physics!) and i also remember that they used to say "qowah wahmeia" for virtual force(a man feels a virtual force upwards as he falls down while inside an elevator).

PS: sorry if i've taken my time to get to the point, but the argument was going nowhere as long as we keep refering to the "default==iftiradi" problem without ever diving into it. it was like seeing my bro trying to install a package while the dependency is broken and naive as he is, he never tried to check on the dependency.

With Kind Regards
Afief

On 8/21/06, Elyess ZOUAGHI <elyess at tunifree dot org> wrote:
its not MY problem also not YOURS its a communauty here and we are all
working for the sake of the arabic-speakers users and when someone see
something that's cleary wrong i think we should analyse PROFESSIONALLY
the problem and share our opinions and the last stage will be choosing
a solution.

if everyone say "what i think is the only right" and not even try to
understand the others opinions then what all this is about !!??

a tiny-story :
someday in the past, someone(or many) trying to translate to arabic
(by chance they was the first) with a minimal resource of knowledge in
language (may be an avrage level?) decided to put a wrong word in the
wrong place (possible at those days it appears right) ...

Thanks To Evolution, That this World Is Not The Same 1400 Years Ago.

a last thing, how many member have a dictionnary near him ??

sorry if i looked offensive,
respect;

2006/8/21, محمد سعد <520026770069-0001 at t-online dot de>:
> في إثنين 21 أغسطس 2006 16:59, كتب Elyess ZOUAGHI:
> Ok use Virtual Keyboard = لائحة مفاتيح افتراضية
> if you want where is the problem
>
> but for  default(s) we are using also افتراضي
> and I think we have no other choice for this
>
> since there is no ambiguity I think other translators will agree with you (and
> with me )
> have a nice day
>
> --
> محمد سعد

Elyess ZOUAGHI
Fingerprint : 74A3 BC6B 3695 26BD FD95 06C9 D8ED 2BCC 583A E752
Website : www.tunifree.org
E-mail : elyess at tunifree dot org
Mobile Phone #1:  (+216) 21 70 18 65
Mobile Phone #2:  (+216) 95 18 25 84