Re: Arabeyes Translation Teams.

On 8/3/06, Djihed Afifi <djihedlists at googlemail dot com> wrote:
> Or, we could use the already-in-place-but-neglected wiki ;-)
>
> Abdulaziz,

Is it really a wiki? Last time I checked, I couldn't edit or add pages. I could be wrong.

It is a wiki, but it is one without an admin. And we fear that may
happen again to any other tool we decide to install.

While still fresh, an upgrade or even a switch to MediaWiki might be
beneficial, since it is proven and is somewhat the standard wiki.

Sometimes I don't understand the admin's (any admin for that matter,
not just Arabeyes') reluctance to using proven tools. Sure, prudence
is necessary, but sometimes you have to make the big steps :-) As far
as I know, most of the server software infrastructure is 4 or more
years old, that's a bit ageing, you know, in a fast moving market.

The reluctance is what naturally happens after you've been stung a few
times. Arabeyes has toyed with many proven tools in the past and very
little came out of it. Sure, some admins have that pioneer spirit and
like to use all the new tools, but there is always a risk of project
clutter associated with the whole thing.

We should try to avoid clutter as much as possible. There are pages in
the current wiki which are _so_ outdated the information in them is
just plain wrong. But who is going to go through all of that to
correct everything? If we did have an admin with the energy to handle
all of this then sure he can install everything that gets suggested,
but we do not have such an admin.

Of course, sometimes you come across something new which is really
promising, like Pootle (IMHO) but that only happens every few years.
So, we save our energy for those tools :-)

Abdulaziz,