Re: Firefox 1.5 beta2 builds

Le Samedi 15 Octobre 2005 15:47, Youcef Rahal a écrit :
> Yes, I agree. However, the French don't need to switch the keybord
> layout in order to type Ctrl+A (nor do they have to care about AZERTY
> or QWERTY keyboards): the shortcuts are already latin characters.
> However, an Arabic user will have to type shortcuts in Arabic, so why
> not set new/'logical' conventions from the start ?

What's the logic in setting Ctrl+Z for cancel, Ctrl+X for Cut, Ctrl+C for copy
and Ctrl+V for paste?
X looks like scissors , C comes from Copy . But the most important thing is
that Cancel , Cut, Copy, Paste are the closest actions to ctrl !
I agree that some shortcut conventions come from linguistic reasons but you
should take in consideration usability reasons.
Also, in a bilingual environment it's difficult to get used to two different
shortcut keys maps.
Do you have any idea about arabic key shortcuts in Windows and Mac OS ? We
could probably simply copy windows and mac so conventions.

Anyway, is it technically possible to make Ctrl+Z Ctrl+X ... work when using
the arabic keymap, not only in Firefox but in all X apps ??