Introducing myself + a question

Hi,
I just wanted to introduce my self here, my name is Nawwar Kabbai, I'm
from Syria.
I'm very happy and proud to join this team. Actually I'm eager to help.
For the time being I'd like to join the Mozilla traslation projects
(firefox and thunderbird). I've already talked with the project
coordinator (Ayman), and assigned me some work :)

Now I have a question, perhaps it was discussed before, but I didn't
find the answer in the translation standard docs. (or I did I miss
something?).
The problem is how to write the Hamzat Al-Wassl, for example I noticed
that words like إحفظ usually written with Hamza, but as we learned in
school, Hamzat Al Wassl mustn't be written, although it is pronounced
when it's in the beginning of speach.
I'm not sure if this rule is applied in all the arab countries, It's
either that it's a common mistake, or some other arab countries adopt
another rule. For example I noticed that in the Iraqi flag the word
Allah ألله was usually written with Hamza.
However, I still beleive it wrong to write Hamzat Al-Wassl, because when
we join the speach, we won't pronounce it, like واحفظ . And it's
impossible to tell when the reader stops or joins reading. Besides,
(AFAIK) in old Arabic scripts, especailly in Quran, Hamzat Al-Wassl is
never written.
I beleive this issue should be solved and defined in the translation
standards.

Thanks.
Nawwar.