Re: installing Linux

Thanks for this useful advice and information Ahmed.  The scariest thing to me about moving to Linux (as convinced as I am in the importance of FOSS particularly for Arab non-profits/voluntary societies) is the lack of readily available support/experts for it nearby.

I think I can borrow a copy of "kiss the blue screen of death goodbye" from a friend.  I'll take it from there and see how it goes.   In any case, I'm "sacrificing" my old Pentium II laptop for this experiment.  All in the name of FOSS!

ahmed naqsh <ahnaqsh at scs-net dot org> wrote:
Umm , but be sure to do your homwrok beforehand , since it won't be time
for it when you face a ciomputer that won't work for some reason or
another . I remeber spending over 3 days trying to get redhat9 to
install and failing , each time for a different reason , to get it to do
that .
If you want my advice , get a good book beforehand , like "Running
Linux" from oreilly , it's excellent and will help you throuh the
installation . You can download it , illegally , from various sources
around the web , in .pdf or .chm format . And also there is one titled
something like "Leave the Blue Screen of Death behind : go linux " ,
which is also ok . I do not know whether it is legal to download such
books , but come on , who's gonna pay a month's salary for a book when
it can be downloaded in five minutes ?
There is a very interesting site called sleekfreak ( that isn't the
exact address ) , which will let you download many books , only if
you're running linux , which is no good , if you *want* to run linux .
But you can cheat it easily , get a download manager and make it
identify itself as , say , Lynx , and download away . Getright should do
the job .