Re: installing Linux

Umm , but be sure to do your homwrok beforehand , since it won't be time for it when you face a ciomputer that won't work for some reason or another . I remeber spending over 3 days trying to get redhat9 to install and failing , each time for a different reason , to get it to do that .
If you want my advice , get a good book beforehand , like "Running Linux" from oreilly , it's excellent and will help you throuh the installation . You can download it , illegally , from various sources around the web , in .pdf or .chm format . And also there is one titled something like "Leave the Blue Screen of Death behind : go linux " , which is also ok . I do not know whether it is legal to download such books , but come on , who's gonna pay a month's salary for a book when it can be downloaded in five minutes ?
There is a very interesting site called sleekfreak ( that isn't the exact address ) , which will let you download many books , only if you're running linux , which is no good , if you *want* to run linux . But you can cheat it easily , get a download manager and make it identify itself as , say , Lynx , and download away . Getright should do the job .

Rai'da Al-Zu3bi wrote:

Excellent. If I manage to do it myself, I shall pass on this knowledge to others, particularly the Arab NGOs I work with. One of the things I'd like to eventually do is to get Arabeyes to give a training workshop on Arabic FOSS to NGOs here in Jordan...but let's take it one step at a time =)
Thanks again.

*/Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com>/* wrote:

    --- Rai'da Al-Zu3bi wrote:
    > Thanks so much. Will do this weekend. Just one
    > question: will this partition my drive or turn it into
    > a Linux machine? If it's the latter, any tips on how
    > to keep both Windows and Linux? Sorry this is turning
    > into an on-line course on Linux installation =)

    This is all an investment in getting people to the RIGHT
    side of the fence :-) You have 2 options, you can install
    linux on your HardDrive and have it be the sole partition
    there (ie. it will occupy and take-up the entire drive) or
    you can have a dual-boot machine. Your best bet if you want
    to go the dual-boot route is to already have your windows
    installation there and then you simply load-in the Linux CD
    and follow the directions (you'll want to make sure you have
    a partition you can install linux on and you can repartition
    your drive using fdisk and/or "partition-magic", etc). Once
    Linux is installed, it will detect the other windows partition
    and add it to a "lilo" boot menu which will give you the option
    to choose what it is that you want to boot into once you turn the
    machine on.

    There are a number of very good sites out there on the web that
    are worth a quick read (google is your friend); here is one,

    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Installation-HOWTO