Re: New translation project approved (Action Apps)

Marhaba Abdulaziz. Yes, I decided to begin translating while we figure our the PHP to PO issues.  I'm actually surfing the Arabeyes website now looking for documentation, resources or past projects that would make my translation easier and faster to do. I want to avoid recreating the wheel by labouring over translation of terms that have already been translated.

Honza mentioned that the two most important files are:
ar_news_lang.php3 and ar_output_lang.php3 so I'm beginning w/these.  It would be FAB if anyone on the list can recommend the best place to look for similar files to the above that have already been translated.

Also, should I use the below to translate technical terms like "alias"? http://qamoose.arabeyes.org/
One thing re CVS files, I have to confess that I laughed so hard after reading the "translation how to", particularly the part about "[1] Minimal computer knowledge is required.  I found the process as explained to be quite complex, but maybe it's just me =)

FYI, the bugzilla system link is broken here:
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/guide/translator-guide-en/first-steps.html

One more thing: although Arabeyes highly recommendeds migration to Linux or at least divide my system between the two that's a non-option for me right now.  So I'll have to work w/Arabeyes as Windows XP user for the timebeing.

Thanks for your help and sorry for the multiple questions.  I'm a fast learner so I won't ask as many in the future.

I'm really excited about translating AA and about being a part of the Arabeyes group.

All the best,

P.S. I just logged on and changed my name as requested.

Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <aalarfaj at gmail dot com> wrote:
On Fri, 4 Feb 2005 11:14:33 -0800 (PST), Rai'da Al-Zu3bi
wrote:

> > I hope your looking into the PHP->po issue.
>
> I am. Not sure I'll manage it w/o your support
> though. I sent a group email to techie colleagues
> asking what to do re this issue. Only one responded
> advising me to use this tool to convert the files:
>
> point at php's gettext support
> http://dk.php.net/manual/en/ref.gettext.php
> which could be used in this task.

I couldn't find anything useful on that page. I'll try to figure out a
way to convert from PHP->po and vice versa. You should not let this
hinder you, and you can start translating right away, but I should add
translating with is much easier, safer and helps you be more
consistent.

So, to sum up, in the meantime, don't worry about PHP->po, but keep it
in mind as we will have to use pos eventually.

> What you
> > need to do before
> > we can create this project is register with
> > Arabeyes. Please do so
> > ASAP[1] so we can create a project page and get the
> > ball rolling.
>
> Done

I went ahead and changed your username from the default al_zu3bi to
raida. Please, go to your preferences page and change your first name
and last name. Please do whatever is necessary to remove that '3' from
Al-Zu3bi :-). As Nadim mentioned only Latin characters should be used
in these fields.

I created the project:

http://www.arabeyes.org/project.php?proj=ActionApps

Your the maintainer. Feel free to change/add/remove any information
there that you like. Please do add any information about important
changes to the history log (i.e. when you import the files to cvs for
the first time, add a history log. When translation reaches 100%
completeness status, add a history log. When another translator joins
the project, add a history log, and so on and so forth).

I guess thats all. If you need any other help, you can post to the
approporiate mailing list. Thanks for your contribution and good luck!

Abdulaziz,