Re: KDE translation - a critical point

On Yaum al-Ithnain 16 Shawwal 1425 9:12 pm, Mohammed Elzubeir wrote:

> > Actually, every one who deals with cvs knows by heart that everything is
> > recorded. I could  never do such a thing on purpose unless I am an
> > insane, stupid and nasty person. Do you really think that I am that
> > person?
>
> I'm not sure where you are getting the impression that I am suggesting
> you are intentionally sabotaging anything.

Yes, I got that impression. When you said some phrases as "I have no idea how
you managed to remove the file though" and such things, it let me feel as if
it's not something happened accidentally. I stand corrected though.

> > The script should check for a .po file everywhere on KDE repository even
> > attic in case that the file is translated before and removed by accident
> > or moved to another place.
>
> Exactly. The script has no way of finding out if the file has indeed
> moved elsewhere. The same is true with KDE's own script.

> > You see the file is also dead and it's you who did the sync. The file is
> > actually changed place form kdesdk to kdewebdev. So, I end up translating
> > a file with 221 difficult strings wasting precious hours in a file Ammar
> > Tabba (from our team) translated in our last KDE translation project from
> > KACST. There are other examples, too.
>
> Okay, this type of thing MUST be tracked manually. There is simply no
> other way to do it. Well, there is, but it would require a complete
> rewrite of the script into something really beautiful and I'm not sure
> Nadim is up to the task right now. He hasn't been around for awhile.

I hope to hear from Nadim whether this is something tricky or could be fixed
without lots of work.

> Munzir, really, you need to relax. I did not accuse you of being
> sinister. I am simply questioning how you weigh the magnitude of the
> issue here. That's all. You think it's disasterous, I think it's
> problematic.

Just take 5 files like that kfilereplace, translate them, right-click
(accidentally of course) on them, shred them, retranslate them and reevalute
whether it's simply problematic or disasterous.

> > have to ask Karouri the only person here I know who knows me well and is

> Ask whoever you like to ask, genius or not, that's beside the issue. If

Karouri, deeply sorry for putting your name on this context. You know such
discussions sometimes go out of control. The script we are talking about is
here:
http://cvs.arabeyes.org/viewcvs/scripts/www/tran_update.pl

The problem as you have noticed (if followed the thread) is that it doesn't
check on all directories.

#    1. if    downloaded .pot and no local .po - copy .pot locally
This should be
if    downloaded .pot and no local .po in all folders even attic - copy .pot
locally

#    2. if  downloaded .pot and    local .po - msgmerge
Also here in all folders...

#    3. if NO downloaded .pot and    local .pot or .po - rename local files
I don't know why it's here rename not remove directly

#    4. if NO downloaded  dir and local  dir - rename local dir

Some explanations are here:
wiki.arabeye.org/KDEMerge
for any one interested to simplify the process.

> What would be nice to add to the script is to check every
> single directory for a 'removed' file to see if it existed before or a
> to remove file to see if it has moved elsewhere and then move it there
> instead of removing it completely. Until then, this will have to be done
> manually.

Now, Elzubeir, you found the time to write all these things will you please
make a complete sync to KDE so that when I look at
http://www.arabeyes.org/misc/kde_status_bar.html I found it the same as
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/KDE_3_3_BRANCH/ar/index.php

Now, kdebase, kdesdk, kdewebdev has some differences between arabeyes and KDE
repositories. This would bring a relax to all of us. Or is it difficult to be
done now?

also why the entry of
kdewebdev/quanta
don't update according to what on cvs?

> This is not going to help you either. You will find the same problem.
> You will still have to perform sync between the ar/ and templates/ and
> hunt removed and moved files down manually. Trust me on this one.

Do KDE have a cvs commits mailing-list so subscribers would see what files
have been moved?

> I really don't care what KACST does, neither do I care for this kind of
> tone.

Sorry, I was to say this thing to myself but being anxious it came loud. Sorry
again.

> ie. You need to plan for these things and their coordination before
> putting your team together. Nevermind, not important.

It's important but don't forget that we are not in a Utopia, sometimes, other
cirumstances play a role. We are doing our best here.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club Member
Maintainer of the Open Arabic Bugs Project at
http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OpenBugs
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS, Linux+, LPI 101
New Horizons CLC, Riyadh, SA