Re: KDE translation - a critical point

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 16:47 +0300, Munzir Taha wrote:

> I am really happy with this. This proves to you that the script is sooo bugy.

It's too bad that makes you happy, but whatever puts a smile on anyone's
face ;) The script is not 'buggy'. It does exactly as advertised. It
simply doesn't do enough.

> I never removed a file unless told by your script to remove it. You can prove
> this very easily. Just co the revision on arabeyes cvs at the point I ran
> your script and co kde-main as you showed me and see for yourself how this
> file would be generated as a file to be removed.

Again, it's not 'my' script. You are right though, the script did decide
the file was removed (and rightfully so, it no longer exists in that
directory).

> Actually, every one who deals with cvs knows by heart that everything is
> recorded. I could  never do such a thing on purpose unless I am an insane,
> stupid and nasty person. Do you really think that I am that person?

I'm not sure where you are getting the impression that I am suggesting
you are intentionally sabotaging anything.

> Elzubeir, I would remind you again. You told me to run the scripts. I did.

Right.

> We found files that should be removed still there and files that should be
> added not there. I asked you to do it yourself thinking that it may be my

Okay, this happens for a reason. More later.

> fault. You did while we are chatting on IRC and when you told me it's ready
> then, instantly, I showed you many problems. There you are convinced with the
> problem and told me you will check the script. Am I also cheating that
> time?

When did I ever say you were cheating? Relax.

> The script should check for a .po file everywhere on KDE repository even attic
> in case that the file is translated before and removed by accident or moved
> to another place.

Exactly. The script has no way of finding out if the file has indeed
moved elsewhere. The same is true with KDE's own script.

> [..]
>
> You see the file is also dead and it's you who did the sync. The file is
> actually changed place form kdesdk to kdewebdev. So, I end up translating a
> file with 221 difficult strings wasting precious hours in a file Ammar Tabba
> (from our team) translated in our last KDE translation project from KACST.
> There are other examples, too.

Okay, this type of thing MUST be tracked manually. There is simply no
other way to do it. Well, there is, but it would require a complete
rewrite of the script into something really beautiful and I'm not sure
Nadim is up to the task right now. He hasn't been around for awhile.

> If you can remember when Isam was the maintainer doing the commits and the
> merges, I thought it was him who is responsible for all those missing
> translations. I posted many files here as examples of our problems. I have
> never used your scripts that time. Now I did, I know for sure that the script
> doesn't check all possibilities and even worse would let you or others think I
> am playing a bad game with you. More time is going to be wasted to prove that
> I am an innocent guy. Sigh!

Munzir, really, you need to relax. I did not accuse you of being
sinister. I am simply questioning how you weigh the magnitude of the
issue here. That's all. You think it's disasterous, I think it's
problematic.

> If you still believe that it's me who is doing a mess to files, I will have to
> ask Karouri the only person here I know who knows me well and is genious
> enough to track every hacker, cracker or a malfunctioning script.

Ask whoever you like to ask, genius or not, that's beside the issue. If
Karouri wants to rewrite the script, that's a different story.
Karouri? ;) What would be nice to add to the script is to check every
single directory for a 'removed' file to see if it existed before or a
to remove file to see if it has moved elsewhere and then move it there
instead of removing it completely. Until then, this will have to be done
manually.

> I know I might gain a KDE CVS account if I negotiate the matter with them. The
> problem is we are here to translate KDE so arabeyes would continue doing the
> translation and review it. KACST just wants to help by but not intending to
> continue doing this. So, it's not wise to negotiate having a direct CVS
> access to work just for 3 weeks and then stop it. In the long run arabeyes

This is not going to help you either. You will find the same problem.
You will still have to perform sync between the ar/ and templates/ and
hunt removed and moved files down manually. Trust me on this one.

> has better do the maintainership. If KACST wants to take maintainership of
> projects, there are many important open source software there that are just
> waiting for someone to take maintainership. We could go maintain them. Now, I
> believe this could be a better alternative for us on next projects. We had
> better not touch anything under arabeyes hands. Long live the various
> projects out there!

I really don't care what KACST does, neither do I care for this kind of
tone.

> I haven't submitted a bug just because I was extremely busy trying to resovle
> the issues under my hand and you told me you are going to check this
> issue and really I didn't know how to prove that it's broken. Is it wise just
> to file a bug saying a script is broken? Up to this minute I have no simple
> way to show you the problems except to ask you to do a sync now using the
> scripts and I will show you some examples of files that are not sync'ed as I
> did before on IRC to prove it.

Okay, whatever. The PR has been submitted now.

> > I guess it is bad planning on starting such projects from KACST's side.
> > It's not like you are not aware of how we do things. If you want to
> > build a car, you don't just get some metal and rubber and create a car.
> > You first have to design it.
>
> Again?

ie. You need to plan for these things and their coordination before
putting your team together. Nevermind, not important.

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.openius.com/|