Re: help-screens-c finally finished (also a note about listing)

On Thursday 06 May 2004 03:13 pm, Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj wrote:
> Salam,

> The items in the list are A, B, C, and D.
> The items in the list are A and B and C and D.
>
> العناصر في القائمة هي أ، ب، ج،
> و د.
> العناصر في القائمة هي أ و ب و ج
> و د.
>
> In English, the first sentence is correct and the
> second is wrong. However, in Arabic the SECOND
> sentence is correct and the first is wrong. Arabic
> never uses commas to list things (in fact Arabic
> hardly ever uses commas at all) and the standard way
> to list thing is with "wow"s. Lets not blindly copy
> the English translations word for word.

Abdulaziz, I remember I have read an Arabic rule regarding this issue. It's
also correct to use commas and "Wow" only between the last two items
depending on ...

> I am not basing this on nothing.ِCheck the sura of
> Noah verse 23.

Also check Surat Alkahf verse 22:
ثلاثة رابعهم كلبهم
خمسة سادسهم كلبهم
سبعة وثامنهم كلبهم
Although it's slightly different than your case but still related.

--
Munzir Taha  PGP Key available

Mandrake Club member
Maintainer of Mandrake Arabization Project Status
http://www.arabeyes.org/download/documents/distros/mdkarabicsupport-en/
CIW Designer, ICDL, MOUS
New Horizons CLC
Riyadh, SA