Re: help-screens-c finally finished (also a note about listing)

--- Abdulaziz Al-Arfaj <alarfaj0 at yahoo dot com> wrote:
> Salam,
>
> Help-screens-C for the Fedora project finally finished
> and reviewed. Reviewing took much more time than I
> though. I found quite a few mistakes and
> inconsistencies and corrected them but I still cannot
> guarantee the 100% correcteness of this file. Will
> send to Youcef and Ossama immediately.

You are exceptional ;D

> Ossama, do you need help with dist.po?

I'll let you know. Thanks for the kind offer.

> A note about listing things: Here are two sentences in
> English and two in Arabic:
>
> The items in the list are A, B, C, and D.
> The items in the list are A and B and C and D.
>
> العناصر في القائمة هي أ، ب، ج،
> و د.
> العناصر في القائمة هي أ و ب و ج
> و د.
>
> In English, the first sentence is correct and the
> second is wrong. However, in Arabic the SECOND
> sentence is correct and the first is wrong. Arabic
> never uses commas to list things (in fact Arabic
> hardly ever uses commas at all) and the standard way
> to list thing is with "wow"s. Lets not blindly copy
> the English translations word for word.

You're right. But, maybe we're (I'm) not watching for Fu7sa (العربية
الفصحى) in translation, though maybe I should.

> I am not basing this on nothing.ِCheck the sura of
> Noah verse 23. I am not launching an all out war
> against commas. I'm just saying you will find that a
> lot Arabic sentences will just sound better without
> them.

We need to discuss that. Let's add it to QacDiscussions.

=====
regards,
Ossama Khayat