Re: common words po non utf8 ?

--- Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com> wrote:

>  1. Why can I view that "corrupted"? file in mlterm/browsers but not
>     in vim/abiword, etc ?  What I am missing here ?

I hate having unresolved issues and so I dug deeper into this to find
out why this is happening and I think I found it.  A number of the
Gnome/KDE translated files are NOT in UTF-8, for instance look at the
translations for,

  "Aggregates"
  "Anchor"
  "Rotate"
  "Transform"
  "Confirm"
  "Connect"
  "Duplicate"

among others.  So what happens (I'm assuming here) from vim's point of
view (and abiword's and others') is that it opens the file, looks at
the various characters and say "oh, this is not 100% UTF-8 clean, let
me just show it in raw format" where-as mlterm and the browsers are
more forgiving by saying "let me show all things that are UTF-8 clean
and leave the rest in raw-format" (ie. that would seem more CPU/time
consuming and so what vim and others are doing is understandable).

So how did I generate a cleaner file ? I forced the perl script to read
all input as though it is UTF-8 and to output all as though it is UTF-8
(if things came in as garbage from utf-8 format point of view, they
went out that way) and so that corrected the resulting file.

The problem, as noted, lives in our translated files and the various
wrong encodings/strings used -- I highly recommend that the various
project maintainers (namely Gnome and KDE) look over the common_terms.po
file looking for garbage characters and correcting their source files
ASAP (again the few listed terms above should show you what I mean).

Case in point - gnome/extra/gimp-libgimp.po

and and and and :-)

>  2. Why is debian's vim package (vim-6.2-149+1.deb) without Arabic
>     support (we need to correct this ASAP).

This _must_ be resolved ASAP still.

Salam.

 - Nadim "a bit more relaxed now" Shaikli :-)