Re: common words po non utf8 ?

--- Arafat Medini <lumina at silverpen dot de> wrote:
> I tried today the common words po but gedit can't read it showing me
> abnormal chars instead of the Arabic letters, gtranslator said about
> errors in it , Abiword spent hours in importing it without any result
> and OOo showed arabic chars but not rendered correctly.

Don't know what to tell you beyond that it looks fine to me (under
mlterm and various web browsers).  Do keep in mind that Kbabel/gtransltor
will complain since the format of the file is abnormal.  In other words,
the .PO files are usually,

 msgid  "something"
 msgstr "translation here"

In the common_terms.po file there are multiple msgstr's and so msgfmt
and various tools freak out with errors.

UPDATE -- Having just imported the file locally and tried vim on it,
I do see what you mean (but mlterm and the browsers still work with
UTF-8 encoding - very odd).  So I've regenerated the file and checked
it back in (it now views fine under vim and mlterm).

A couple of things on this topic,

 1. Why can I view that "corrupted"? file in mlterm/browsers but not
    in vim/abiword, etc ?  What I am missing here ?

 2. Why is debian's vim package (vim-6.2-149+1.deb) without Arabic
    support (we need to correct this ASAP).