Von: doc-admin at arabeyes dot org [mailto:doc-admin at arabeyes dot org] Im Auftrag
von Anson David Parker
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 3. April 2003 12:30
An: doc at arabeyes dot org
Betreff: laptop game

"the net takes care of its own"
well ya'll, it's been a busy week - couple of setbacks,
nuthin serious.   You all seem quite active.  Great.
Here's the plan.  I have a pretty standard laptop (Compaq
Armada) - I bought it three months ago off ebay, it has 128
mb ram, 10 gig hd, cruddy cd player, functional 3.5,
ethernet, dialin card etc pII 366... (approx $350 bucks)
OK, so the game rules
1)Get this machine over to an Iraqi library, primary, or
secondary school
2)without the use of UPS or any such.
3)with arabic OS installed + with a bunch of chemical
modeling software on it too... a modular "RADLab"

see the deal is this - I am pretty much broke.  I don't
have a car, no phone, and rent is coming off my credit
card.  etc... but I live in America, so chances are no one
will leave me to rot in the streets...  whatever, I can't
afford postage, and besides which, the goal is to begin
open sourcing package transit and promote certain
connections to be established (ie I am going to be
contacting my friends from here to europe, I think I can
get the machine accross the atlantic, but you guys are the
first people I have told about this new "game" and any help
would be cool) ... I want to see if using trusted
connections we can track this package the whole way over
there.   The whole system has to be worked out before it
happens, maybe nobody will think it's worth it, maybe the
laptop will make it halfway there and get stolen.  Maybe a
rad laptop can make it all the way to iraq?  waddya say?  I
think it sounds like a hell of an intellectual excercise to
coordinate this whole thing

to facilitate this procedure:
I am installing tutos (I am still trying to get the arabic
fonts managed properly there)  I am about to start working
with some GPS software to make it really clear how the
package moves around, follow its journey etc...
I am open to suggestions...
Anyhow - if this game goes well I am going to start
shopping auctions and we can get some other machines out.
www.aladigital.net should be up soon (tomorrow) (I am
sleepy).

ps - it's just a game, but not a joke, there will be coming
a section (online) for people to donate $'s for shipping &
handling, for other machines, but for dream purposes I want
to see if it can be done freely just once...

ps - rock on / kick ass
Anson