Re: Thanks for Your Help

--- Omar Abo-Namous <merlin12345 at gmx dot de> wrote:
> You first have to declare the charset of your html-doc
> to be utf both by giving the correct header
> header("content='text/html; charset=UTF-8'");
> as well as the right charset settings inside html:
>
> But that's not everything - not by a long shot. For arabic to work
> you'd have to somehow tranform each character into the equivalent
> utf8-character. From a latin (german, french..) character into utf8
> it's simply the function utf8-encode(...). I don't know how it would
> work for arabic.

It should be rather simple actually.  If you have a file that
is encoded with Windows-1256 (or CP-1256 or ...) you can,

 $ iconv --from-code WINDOWS-1256 --to-code UTF-8 input_file > output_file

for further info 'man iconv' and/or 'iconv --list'.  Almost all
applications (mysql, etc) include support for UTF-8 given a proper
well-documented setting (when in doubt 'google' and/or read the
manpages).

> One option is to type your arabic text in an utf8-enabled editor

Beyond the various linux/unix options, here is a mention for the
windows crowd that should be highly recommended,

  + BabelPad (http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelPad.html)
  + Yudit    (http://yudit.org/download.html)