Re: Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:48:42PM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> First of all, I am not resentful of the Core committee. Not on the existence
> nor in the principle that it should be small. Two points, though:
>
> - Core does not exist to stifle discussions. By the way I don't attribute it to
> all core members, only some of them display this attitude.

We're only four.. so really, that statement walks a very thin line ;)

> - Second thing is that other members and member opinions are useful resources
> for Core. I expect to be able to say my opinion (with no exaggeration/nagging)
> and then core can decide what is best for Arabeyes. Not discovering a problem,
> thinking about it themselves, solving it, and then passing it for us to
> implement.

And so when you see a problem like this (in your opinion), you raise a
flag, say "Look, we got a problem here! and we can fix it by.... "
instead of this whole.. I don't even know what to call it.

> About what? I believe you are mixing things now. The PuTTY case was a singular
> case (and was under Windows, for that matter, and friBiDi does not enjoy that
> status in Windows, so less problems).
> As for the CUPS thread, just note the dates:
> - Ahmad notes that CUPS don't like LGPL in 24 May
> (http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/May/msg00200.html). This is
> the first actual proof of a problem there.
> - You publish the BiDi policy in 26 May
> (http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/May/msg00220.html).
> So what you are saying 'a very long thread' actually had a 24 hours span of
> actual discussion. But you were relaying on the PuTTY thing..

Yes, we are on two _very_ different clocks, but at least you know what
timezone I'm on ;) I had no idea you were on the May 24 timezone.

> While you are doing that, do the things that you can. Use available
> dictionaries technical and otherwise. How much does an ALESCO dictionary cost,
> by the way?

And where do you get the idea that we are against such a thing? You are
way off and making assumptions that are not justified. Decisions on this
matter have yet to be taken and if you watch very closely you would see
that it is right on the QAC's agenda.

> Remember, you didn't convince me there was a problem till the 24th, and you
> decided a day after.

I'm not about to go to every single person on the list and "convince"
them. That's unreasonable.

> Let me tell you something, I am here to gain. To gain Arabic support in open
> source, to gain open source for the Arab people, to gain experience that is
> already there, not to duplicate it.

That, kind of gain, you are in the right place and odd to see you want
to leave it -- see my point?

> Thanks for you kind words. I know I didn't explain it clearly enough. But I
> expect by the sum of my e-mails today you are understanding it more and more.

No, I am understanding that you have other reasons which are not being
publicized -- again, that is your personal business and I won't get
involved.

> That mess is altogether GPL compatible. Don't worry about that.

I'm not -- I really don't care that much.. but I wouldn't mind holding a
device that has some of your code in it and saying, I had lunch with
this guy ;)

Regards
| Unix the 'right' way |  http://elzubeir.fakkir.net/ |