Re: Bidi-less Applications Patching Policy

 --- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 07:48:42PM +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
[...]
> And so when you see a problem like this (in your opinion), you raise a
> flag, say "Look, we got a problem here! and we can fix it by.... "
> instead of this whole.. I don't even know what to call it.

Don't. You don't need to.

> > About what? I believe you are mixing things now. The PuTTY case was a
> singular
> > case (and was under Windows, for that matter, and friBiDi does not enjoy
> that
> > status in Windows, so less problems).
> > As for the CUPS thread, just note the dates:
> > - Ahmad notes that CUPS don't like LGPL in 24 May
> > (http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/May/msg00200.html). This
> is
> > the first actual proof of a problem there.
> > - You publish the BiDi policy in 26 May
> > (http://lists.arabeyes.org/archives/developer/2004/May/msg00220.html).
> > So what you are saying 'a very long thread' actually had a 24 hours span of
> > actual discussion. But you were relaying on the PuTTY thing..
>
> Yes, we are on two _very_ different clocks, but at least you know what
> timezone I'm on ;) I had no idea you were on the May 24 timezone.

It is not my timezone. These days are copied from the mail itself.

> And where do you get the idea that we are against such a thing? You are
> way off and making assumptions that are not justified. Decisions on this
> matter have yet to be taken and if you watch very closely you would see
> that it is right on the QAC's agenda.

> > Remember, you didn't convince me there was a problem till the 24th, and you
> > decided a day after.
>
> I'm not about to go to every single person on the list and "convince"
> them. That's unreasonable.

Let's put it that way. You didn't convince anybody before that, as clear from
the e-mail. That e-mail is the first one to mention that CUPS people don't like
LGPL libraries.

> > Let me tell you something, I am here to gain. To gain Arabic support in
> open
> > source, to gain open source for the Arab people, to gain experience that is
> > already there, not to duplicate it.
>
> That, kind of gain, you are in the right place and odd to see you want
> to leave it -- see my point?

Yes. I came here because it is the right place. But I found many things going
wrongly..

> No, I am understanding that you have other reasons which are not being
> publicized -- again, that is your personal business and I won't get
> involved.

Suspecting I found a well of money and I am leaving you for that, huh? Well
that didn't happen yet, but thanks for not getting involved.

Your message has a point, though. I will suspend my suspension of Arabeyes, for
a couple of days. I will delay my decision till next Monday, so as to be able
to think about it and probably get on irc on the weekend. I will try to make my
point clear by that time. If issues are solved, fine and good, else I will have
made my point.

Now let me go to the nice Sharma and a cup of tea:)

Salam,
Muhammad Alkarouri