Re: Qamoose

--- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
> I was thinking of linking Qamoos & dictd. I make a change in Qamoos
> (approve/edit) a new term and it takes effect the next time dictd is
> reloaded. If I get 3 new terms for approval, I do what I should do
> under Qamoos and I do 3 different cvs for 3 words if they have
> different starting letters.

Well as noted much earlier - this is not something we can do.  The DICT
protocol is single-ended in the sense that it only allows for queries
and not additions.  Once the database is created, its simply there and
if you want to add things to it, you have to recreate it.  Since we are
creating the DICT protocol from out CVS checked-in golden .po files, the
terms that you are approving will need to be added to those golden files
(ie. into CVS).  Since I'm VERY uneasy about QaMoose mucking with our
CVS (I don't feel comfortable with web/cgi scripts checking-in files into
our CVS repository) the only "clean" solution I opted for was,

 1. Approve terms via QaMoose's admin web interface
 2. As admin download terms to your local machine (in .po format)
 3. Run the "wordlist_add.pl" script (to add the newly downloaded .po file)
 4. run 'cvs commit' by hand on the golden files
 5. wait for the cron job to regenerate the DICT database

That is the best, most secure, most comfortable thing I could come up with.
Is this a headache or are there errors in this process ?

> Shortly, bad_words & new_words will disappear and I will wind up with
> maintaining terms (Correct a def, add a word or 2). It would be nice if
> I can correct a def or add a word or 2 using Qamoos and not have to cvs.

Yeah, this takes us to your above question.  This is not doable.  Think
of QaMoose as a one-sided client (due to the DICT protocol - its nothing
I'm imposing -- its the protocol's short-comings).  All changes must be
reflected in CVS as that is the ONE place we are assured of attaining the
most upto date info.

BTW: once we are done with bad/new_words, we'll have to start thinking and
     working on an Arabic->English wordlist and dictionary :-)