Re: Contribution & Participation

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <rahal at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> --- Ahmad Al-rasheedan <asr at baldi dot cc> wrote:
>
> > I bitched but I think I have the answer, it is the way Wiki operates.
> > You get to use a browser and edit/save/publish on the fly.
>
> I do share this thought too. I however don't have much else to say.
> I'm not sure we can do anything. Unless someone is willing to give
> a huge time thinking of something that might address the problem
> (translating POs via web for ex ?)... Anyway, I don't think we have
> enough strength to get into that.

I too agree that we can't do it ourselves.  I tried to google for
'.POT web applications' or similar, but got nowhere (can anyone do
better ??).  One thing to mention in passing though, the Mozilla
sub-project was I believe done all online (and is still done so),
maybe we can tap that talent to see if anything can be done for us.

To be fully honest I'm not fully certain that even if such an application
existed that we'd get plenty of people helping - I think the situation
would improve but I don't think it would solve our problems.

There is a fundamental difference between ar.wikipedia and our work.
The wikipedia is inherently more interesting since you are writing
about a topic you like or interests you or drives you.  Whereas with
.POT file translations it is alot more dry and you don't get to see
the results after a click or two (I would tend to have thought that
the 'wordlist' would be more appealing due to next-day availability,
but don't know).  So I'm not sure how to address that aspect of
it or I could be fully mistaken.

A suggestion was also made for Arabeyes to "host" ar.wikipedia - can
we get comments on this ?  The rationale there is to have more new
faces and more willing translators come, linger and help.  I'll
hold off my opinion until others comment :-)