Re: Translator guide

Salam,

From: Nadim Shaikli
Subject: Re: Translator guide
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 22:23:48 -0800 (PST)

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <yrrahal42 hotmail com> wrote:
> Salam,
>
> The translator guide is on CVS (except for the screenshots). You can view it
> as usual here:
> http://perso.club-internet.fr/youcef.rahal/tmp/

OK, here are my comments (as I read the doc),

1.0 the wording is a bit odd, re-read and polish

2.0 + title should be "Your first steps" - as it stands now sounds odd
    + "You have a good level in both Arabic " - level should really be
      something else, maybe knowledge ?

Instead of listing all the little things, give me your OK and I'll make
gramatical and "things that sound odd" changes (if you like of course :-)

OK. Since I never pretended that my english was perfect (in fact, it is really far from that), you are free to correct all the gramatical/orthographic mistakes and all the 'odd' expressions :-) Just Let me know when you'll be able to do it, I don't wanna spend a day in resolving CVS conflicts ;)

3.2 do we have to mention Kbabel ?

I think yes, to explain why a user should checkout all the files: in order to build the database. Otherwise, I don't know a valid reason for him/her to checkout all the 'heavy' files.

3.5 what's been decided about a 'commit' to email address ?

Mohamed ???

I would suggest, if such an adress is created, that it would notify its subscribers that a file (or more) has been sent and has been put "somewhere", but not to send physically the files to their mailboxes.

A wild thought (;)): what about an anonymous ftp acessible from a webpage, so a user can upload his/her files directly "somewhere". If the anonymous thing is dangerous, what about user/pass ?

I have no idea about the technical details. And I don't know if it worths the effort, since the fact that a translator using this service will not happen that often after all.

4.0 note that the user viewing these pages should do so under UTF-8 as all
    the examples and work will be done in that encoding.

OK.

4.2.1 what copyright info ?  You might simply note to look at the example
      below and leave it be.  We might also want to use fake names and
      email addresses (spam alert)

OK for the spam. The copyright info is: "Copyright (C) 2001,2002,2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc."

Anyway, all this has to be reviewed.

4.2.2 pick a better example

OK.

4.6 what's that e\n - what's that "e" ?

This example has to be changed anyway. I'll search the files for a better one.

6.0 not sure this is relevant to be in a guide - just a thought, you might
    want to rephrase the intent into showing how people go about starting
    new projects and what to think about, etc.

I think this is a good place for this as we are planning to centralize all the translation guidelines in one document. If you have any ideas that you want to add to the document then feel free to edit it (while correcting the 'odd' words :)). I am planning by the way to remove my name and put 'Arabeyes Core Team' or something like that as the author.

Mohamed also suggested to add a 'Credits' section at the end and list the people who worked on the document, and what they did etc.

Salam and thanks for your comments,

Youcef.

Pro ou perso, toutes les adresses et numéros de tél que vous cherchez http://g.msn.fr/FR1000/9491