Re: A thought on how to attract new active contributors

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 12:37:08PM +0100, Youcef Rabah Rahal wrote:
> Salam,
>
> Well, this is my first email as a core member. I hope it will be
> constructive :-)
>
> [..]
>
> Let me know what do you think about it.

Okay, I'm glad this is being opened. Maybe you can start with the documentation
then ;) What I had in mind was soemthing along the same lines, but instead
of it being merged into the help page (or similar), they would be in
the form of guides. Something similar to the developer guide (which I should
finish some time -- feel free to jump in anyone). What I would like to
see is something like: Developer Guide, Translation Guide, Artist Guide,
etc. That way, those documents can be expanded and as comprehensive as
needed, without the constraints of being brief and to-the-point like
in the web page.

Also, one thing that really confuses people is CVS (the cvs web interface
vs. the cvs pserver).. and so giving them url's for CVS often leads them
to thinking that's how you download the files, leaving them wondering
how to upload them. Nevermind being pointed to a CVS HOWTO, they would
already be lost by then. We have tried several times to make things
easier (and trust me, they are much much easier now than when we first
started..) -- but there is most definitely a _lot_ of room for improvement.

The Translation Guide would ideally be based on the translation howto
of KDE (which is in CVS now.. with little bits of it translated). The
developer guide is in the making. The artist guide, well.. I don't think
that one would be too long. Preferably they are all done in SGML so we
can maintain consistency, etc.

Thoughts?
---
Was I helpful? Let others know: