Re: Arabeyes Charter Proposal

Nadim, I basically agree with some of what you write on one hand, and go in a
completely opposite direction on the other hand.
First, nothing is written in stone and this charter is here to add more
flexibility. Believe me, as someone who's constantly got to deal with bureaucratic
stuff, I know how important the absence of rules can be. On the other hand, a
minimal set of rules DOES solve problems, because too much flexibility (i.e. no
rules) or a flat structure simply commits suicide in case there's a major
disagreement somewhere. So essentially, we'll continue working the way we were. No
one will have to hide his eyes on what's happening out of his function, and
everyone can participate wherever he wants as long as no problem arises. We are
flexible, we are here for fun as you put it, and we want it to be as friendly as
possible, and functions are not restrictive but there for efficiency reasons and
clarity in case of need. That said, disagreements, sometimes even conflicts, DO
arise from time to time, and we can't afford go on battles or break the whole
structure because there's no way to easily solve them, whereas a set of well
written rules will always be waiting there in case of need to solve any
disagreement in a couple of minutes and without any kind of grudge or animosity.
Playing by the rules definitely defuses tensions should they arise because then,
it's not the one who shouts louder who wins, but the application of some simple
rules which solves the problem.

Salaam,
Chahine

Nadim Shaikli a *crit :