Re: Arabeyes Charter Proposal

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002 23:33:46 +0100
  "Chahine M. Hamila" <mch at chaham dot com> wrote:

> Nadim, I basically agree with some of what you write on one hand, and go
> in a completely opposite direction on the other hand.
> First, nothing is written in stone and this charter is here to add more
> flexibility. Believe me, as someone who's constantly got to deal with
> bureaucratic
> stuff, I know how important the absence of rules can be. On the other hand, a
> minimal set of rules DOES solve problems, because too much flexibility
> (i.e. no rules) or a flat structure simply commits suicide in case there's
> a major disagreement somewhere. So essentially, we'll continue working the
> way we were. No one will have to hide his eyes on what's happening out of
> his function, and everyone can participate wherever he wants as long as no
> problem arises. We are flexible, we are here for fun as you put it, and we
> want it to be as friendly as possible, and functions are not restrictive but
> there for efficiency reasons and clarity in case of need. That said,
> disagreements, sometimes even conflicts, DO arise from time to time, and we
> can't afford go on battles or break the whole structure because there's no
> way to easily solve them, whereas a set of well written rules will always
> be waiting there in case of need to solve any disagreement in a couple of
> minutes and without any kind of grudge or animosity. Playing by the rules
> definitely defuses tensions should they arise because then, it's not the
> one who shouts louder who wins, but the application of some simple rules
> which solves the problem.

I agree with what you are saying, but with all due respect I don't see the
charter addressing conflict resolution or debate (besides the mention of
votes - which in their own right I think will resolve 99.9% of conflicts;
unfortunately we barely started using 'em until the volcano erupted).

It ought to be noted that setting out territories of control, if you will,
should not be considered a conflict resolver since what they would amount
to is "pulling rank" on someone else.  In other words, "I am the coordinator
of such and such and so my word is the ultimate decision maker" - which I
believe ought to be avoided --my opinion-- (not that I'm saying that that
will happen - I can't foretell the future of course).

I don't mean to belittle what is being attempted here, but again this is
very much like playing army when we were kids (who's the general, who's the
solider, who's the medic) and then we all just sat around and commanded each
other - we even forgot that as an army you are supposed to fight wars :-)
I'm of the opinion now of simply doing (working) and making announcements
post completion of work (and of course letting people know what is being done
and what the general task-list is in order to get more help if need be) with
a broad vision of getting the work (without shortcuts) completed as soon as
possible.  My fear is that the forest is being lost amid all the trees.  As
far as I'm concerned the mode of operation ought to really be,

 a. Focus (generate a list of all tasks/projects needed)
    i.  prioritize
    ii. divide up the work
 b. Set time-tables and abide by them
    i.  monthly goals, quarterly goals (per project/person/arabeyes)
 c. Attain results according to 'b' above; repeat

The spheres of control, in my humble opinion, are a drawback.

I'm also saying the following - I think Arabeyes hasn't produced enough
results and so the "we'll continue working the way we were" ought to be
looked into as well not in a negative manner, but with an eye to improve
and to make this more results-oriented - that's why I keep talking about
results, results, results.  I might have had my fingers in too many bowls
(where I thought I could help) in an attempt to remedy that problem (I know
we are short handed and lacking resources), but heck I'm not making any
friends here by telling people what ought to be done nor have I befriended
people that I've attempted to assist.

Notwithstanding, I've decided long ago not to be the salmon of the group
and as such I'm simply putting forth my views and by no means am I
instructing anyone to do anything nor am I suggesting the doing away of
anything -- simply, again, stating an (alternative) opinion.