Re: Rules suggestion

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 10:50:38AM -0800, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > 4. Discussions should not go through the 'core' list, and if the
> >    person feels they are necessary then they may choose to do so in
> >    private with individual members.
>
> I have reservations about 4 - nothing should be done in private (to avoid
> lobbying).  If there is a need for a discussion (which on most (if not all)

'Lobbying' as you put it, will happen either way. IOW, I don't think it will
avoid it.

> votes there should be or else it would not be up for a vote) then let it be

Discussions on 'sticky' topics tend to be open-ended and no resolutions are
reached after a long and exhaustive discussion. It becomes more of a matter of
convincing the other of one's point of view. Therefor, one would simply state
their opinion, others would read it, and make up their mind. It is a pain-free
mechanism.

> wide-open.  We should think of a way to bring a topic up, talk about it,
> discuss pro's/con's, ask/answer questions (without any nerves and sticking
> to the points at hand) and then take a vote next meeting (put a time limit
> of 15 minutes on the discussion or something to cap it).  Private discussions
> are never good since they tend to polarize people and factionize parties.
> I'd suggest dedicating 10minutes each meeting for "vote topics" in which
> we talk/discuss topics and take votes on issues discussed in the prior
> meeting (all should be noted in the agenda of course).

That is 'idealistic' but not 'realistic'. For instance, putting a 10-15 min
cap on discussions on irc is simly not realistic. It will not happen.
Specially when it's a 'sticky point'. Most of this will probably be
unnecessary for the majority of issues.

The idea is to stop getting megs upon megs of mail on the 'core' list about
things that tend to go in circles and only attempt to convince as opposed to
convey one's opinions. Posting one's opinion on their page, and having others
look at it is quiet sufficient for this purpose.

anyone else?