Re: Rules suggestion

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002 00:19:41 -0600
 "Mohammed Elzubeir" <elzubeir at fakkir dot net> wrote:

> Includion of new 'core' members will have to be based on a unanimous vote,
> and not 'majority' vote.
>  + Inclusion of new 'core' individuals

Fair enough.

> IRC meetings should not have 'discussions' on issues which will have votes.
> Any issue which will have a vote will go through the following procedure:
>
> 1. Item added to the meeting agenda
> 2. Each party will make up their mind on the issue (vote yes/no/abstain)
> 3. If there are elaborations the individual feels are necessary, they would
>    write a brief and short one and post it on their home dir ~/public_html/
>    for core members to view prior the meeting time (and fwd a link to it on
>    the 'core' list).
> 4. Discussions should not go through the 'core' list, and if the person feels
>    they are necessary then they may choose to do so in private with
>    individual members.

I have reservations about 4 - nothing should be done in private (to avoid
lobbying).  If there is a need for a discussion (which on most (if not all)
votes there should be or else it would not be up for a vote) then let it be
wide-open.  We should think of a way to bring a topic up, talk about it,
discuss pro's/con's, ask/answer questions (without any nerves and sticking
to the points at hand) and then take a vote next meeting (put a time limit
of 15 minutes on the discussion or something to cap it).  Private discussions
are never good since they tend to polarize people and factionize parties.
I'd suggest dedicating 10minutes each meeting for "vote topics" in which
we talk/discuss topics and take votes on issues discussed in the prior
meeting (all should be noted in the agenda of course).