Re: licenses revisited

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 08:58:47PM +0100, Chahine M. Hamila wrote:

> 1) We are not opensource.org

Correct.. but we need a reference point.

> 2) We can call it opensource if we want, and let Eric Raymond call
> opensource whatever he wants, we won't be the first ones to use a different
> definition that his. In any case, whether you consider it to be opensource
> or not, we still have the power to decide what we want for ourselves. I.e.
> the last word of what we accept and what we don't is not up to anyone but
> Arabeyes.

Hrmm.. you know how I personally feel about it.. but I don't want to
contradict what has been widely accepted. What other reference is there
to the definition of open source?

> 3) I am very strongly against refusing the the HPL because of the .il stuff.
> If someday you have a license encouraging exports and imports to/from .il,
> accept it if you so wish. Just don't refuse this one *because of the .il
> stuff*. Last time I checked, I am part of Arabeyes, not Arafateyes. And if

<grin> [re: Arafateyes]

> you think I'm too ****ing sensitive about this, go make a tour in the West
> Bank and see how it is, go see how you'll be treated by our cousins at
> entrance in case you want to visit Jerusalem, and check why your countries
> are under murdering sanctions. It's politics, but it's politics that
> influence our ****ing daily lives, so I can't make abstraction of it and do
> as if it didn't exist. I don't mean to be harsh to any of you in particular,
> so don't take it personally folks.

This has nothing to do with the current situation in the West Bank and/or
Gaza. Nothing personal, just refrain from the unnecessary vocabulary, this
is archived after all ;)

Again, we don't even know what license he is going with, and he is yet
to reply to my email about sending his files over to import to cvs and
create accounts for him and his team.

later