Lam-Alif and ISO-8859-6

Hi all,

We are working on a project about converting IBM EBCDIC 420 - Arabic to ISO-8859-6 Arabic. We use iconv utility to convert the charset.But after conversion we cannot see the Lam-Alif character on linux systems (suse,redhat,debian etc.).I've read various documents and saw that Lam-Alif character doesnt exist in ISO-8859-6. So, i want to ask you, how did you see,use,print etc. the Lam-Alif character on Linux systems before UTF-8? I need your advices.( By the way, there is no problem with utf-8 but we have to convert to iso-8859-6 )

Regards,
Koray Kusat

*I know the subject isn't directly related with this list but, i couldnt find any other place to ask.Sorry for disturbing