Re: Proposal of OAO Structure

Salam,

Your proposal has a number of good points. Here is my own personal
take on it. This is based on my personal vision of what OAO is and
what is its purpose in life.

The idea to include a section for corporations/companies hoping to
migrate to OSS is a good one. However it seems to me to be beyond the
scope of what OAO was intended to be, a community portal. But there is
definitely a need for such a section in a separate sister project.

The job market section however, is in line with the vision of OAO, so
I'm all for that.

The Arabization & Arabization Assistance sections would overlap with
the core function of Arabeyes.org. Fragmentation of Arabization
efforts across multiple communities would be very bad. Instead we
should gear OAO towards bolstering Arabization efforts here at
Arabeyes, instead of letting OAO host projects on its own and
competing with Arabeyes for those most valuable of resources: the
contributor's time & attention.

Having said all of that, let me reiterate that these are details and
we should wait for progressive elaboration. The picture of what we
need to do will become clearer as we get closer to it.

At the moment I am personally reluctant to discuss what the structure
of OAO should look like beyond the very basics. When a maintainer is
found that person might have his/her own ideas and it would be
presumptuous on our part to say: "We already decided on what needs to
be done. Now you go make it happen."

I hope no one thinks I am saying "we should not be coming up with
ideas" :-). What I am saying is there is no one at the moment who can
implement the ideas. So lets find a maintainer first and then direct
our collective brainstorming efforts towards that person and let
him/her decide how to proceed.

Regards,

Abdulaziz