Re: OpenArabia

On 5/2/07, Youssef Chahibi <chahibi at gmail dot com> wrote:

Glad to see signs of life from you.

;-)

[...]
Just to open the discussion again, because I did not follow the developments
of the idea, I think that for now the idea of involvement from LUGs is to be
excluded -as in not believing in so much hope-, LUGs are pretty inactive in
my eyes, if they were active the way the OpenArabia.org idea expect them to
be then I should have noticed that. LUGs are good because they bring the idea
very close to the end-users and potential participants, but it is simply not
the case .

"If you build it, they will come..." ;-)

Picture if you will a symbiotic relationship between OAO and the LUGs.
Participation from LUGs will feed the OAO community, and OAO will help
enthusiasts find like-minded groups and people in their geographic
proximity, vitalizing the LUGs.

[...]
Rectification: "someones". In my imaginary concept of OpenArabic.Org, the
project needs a lot of care from many carers, getting news, writing news and
present quality content is not a one man's job at all, it is a community's
job. Even big portals like OSnews or Slashdot, with their international
community, can hardly satisfy their reason of existence.

Of course it will need work from a good number of people. But its
vital to the project's success that it should have a leader.

[...]
> So, any takers?

Unfortunately, not me. The idea is great, the means are not there.
Suggestion: Start a page in http://wiki.arabeyes.org/OAO_Draft to draw the
features of this project, and convenient realistic ways to achieve it.
Anyway, it is not a completely impossible mission.

Its not impossible nor is it even difficult, IMHO. Plus, its a great
opportunity on a personal level for whomever takes over this project.
It would look damn great on a CV to state that your the "founder and
admin of OpenArabia.org" :-)

Regards,

Abdulaziz,