Re: Arabic Spellchecker

--- Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 05:04:59PM -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > Any other relevant news regarding this topic ?
>
> We need a wordlist for aspell and another one for hunspell. I think
> the aspell one can be converted to hunspell but I'm not sure.

Sorry but if we get aspell working and working properly why would we
care about hunspell (ah, disregard that question - hunspell [1] is
used within OpenOffice.org :-)  Note that on the hunspell page they
have farsi listed as part of an available dictionary list (for aspell),
is there something there we can barrow (or learn) in order to create
an Arabic dict.wordlist ?  Arabic and farsi have a great deal of
commonality between 'em...

> Maybe hunspell would need some coding related to Arabic but I don't
> know the status.
>
> I've got an email from M. Kebdani regarding his wordlist project but
> it was completely in Arabic which was very hard for me to understand.
> I did not reply and I started to be busy.

Mr. Kebdani from what I gather you were involved with the duali project
in the past (helping elzubeir with a wordlist if I remember properly)
and I believe you and Mr. Zerrouki are now heading the ayaspell [2]
project, correct ? (either that or there are lots of Kebdani's running
around dealing with spelling issues :-)  Could you please brief us on
what your current status is and whether there is a dictionary (arabic
wordlist) that can be used with aspell ?  Can we help in any way ?  If
you aren't on the general mailing-list [3] do please consider subscribing.

> The wordlist I have and using for aspell (in debian BTW) is not good
> at all but it's a demonstration anyway.

Are you of the opinion that aspell can be used - no reservations or
doubts ?

> End of the story: Ask M. Kebdani.

Thank you Mr. Sameer, we'll try to address this and your assistance and
experience is much appreciated (as I'm sure you'll be pulled back into
this conversation once we hear from Mr. Kebdani/Zerrouki :-)  Getting a
proper Arabic spell checker will open the flood gates wide open on a
number of other efforts among which are possibly grammar checkers,
creation of a complete arabic wordlist for translation, automatic
translation, etc.

[1] http://hunspell.sf.net
[2] http://ayaspell.blogspot.com

Thanks & Salam.