Re: Mentorship program

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 15:40 +0100, Muhammad Alkarouri wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 23:27 -0700, Nadim Shaikli wrote:
> > This in reply to an email Samy had mailed to 'core' [1].  Samy, as some
> > might already know, has resigned from the 'core' team to pursue this
> > idea more fully among other reasons (Samy's pursuit should certify to
> > people his immense passion to this topic and his utmost commitment in
> > attaining it).  It should also be mentioned that the mentoring program
> > will be rolled-out under the OpenArabia.org (OAO for short) umbrella.
> > OAO is still very much a work-in-progress with alot more details to
> > come.
>
> Obviously I am missing a lot of the action.

You missed some bad action. :)

> I am wondering what will go into OAO and what will be Arabeyes area.
> IIRC, openarabia is an 'all-out' open source place, for everything open
> source, including LUGs activities, communities, general portal. Arabeyes
> will still do development/translation, right? So, does mentoring, which
> is linked to cvs committing, and participating in Arabeyes projects,
> belong to OAO?

I would give out a screenshot, but that would ruin the surprise :D
Basically, OpenArabia's front-page statement is:

The Middle East has been lacking in true innovation not for a year or
two, but for hundreds of years. In today's world, the innovation of
peoples is driven by the technology that is provided to them. Even
there, the region lacks the appropriate technology. Open-source software
has been a medium for innovation for over 30 years, OpenArabia.org hopes
to provide the appropriate open-source resources for the wide-range of
audience of the region. This includes but is not limited to desktop
users, software developers, graphics designers and more.

---

This will include monthly lectures (if not bi-monthly or similar) from
various prominent open-source developers on a range of topics, a LUG
database, a software database and so on. The feature list will be shown
off once I am ready to go beta.

> By the way, will you please notify us in a more prominent way with
> changes to core? In the front Arabeyes page we know about the addition
> on April 26, nothing about the resignation of Samy. And may be we need a
> clear link to the core list, a place better than the 'contact us' page.
> Did I mention that the 'contact us' page needs to be updated?

I agree.

--
Samy Al Bahra
 |------- http://samy.kerneled.org