Re: Volunteers, Unicode, previous examples and things

Salaamu Alaikum Abdalla,

This is a different topic although I can't help but comment on a few things you mention in your post.

>The Quran is  a quran (a recital)
>it is not a kutban (writal or scripture).

I don't quite understand what you mean here in trying to distinguish the Quran from being a scripture but only a recital. A scripture is recited. As you know, the second ayah of the second surah start with "dhaalika l-kitaabu laa rayba fiih" translated in many translations similar to  "This is the Scripture whereof there is no doubt". Also the third ayah of the third surah mentions "nazzala `alayka l-kitaaba bi-l-haqq" translated in Pickthall as "He hath revealed unto thee the Scripture with truth". In addition, please find:

"wa lammaa jaa'ahum kitaabu `ind Allah": And when there cometh unto them a scripture from Allah (2:89)

"yaa ayyuha alladheena amanooo, aminoo bi-llahi ve rasoolihi wa-l-kitaabi alledhee nazaala `alaa rasoolihi wa-l-kitaabi alladhee anzala min qabl":  O ye who believe! Believe in Allah and His messenger and the Scripture which He hath revealed unto His messenger, and the Scripture which He revealed aforetime. (4:136)

There are numerous other verses in the Qur'an where the Qur'an is referred to as "kitaab".

>Moreover,  the original  transmission  mediums of  the  Quran are  the
>believers' hearts and the tongues (oral transmission).

Even the most traditional accounts record that the transmission was both oral and written.

>In fact, one of  the miraculous traits of the Quran is  that it is not
>limited to a  physical format. One of the results  of this trait makes
>the  Quran  absolutely unperishable  because  it  does  not depend  on
>manuscripts and written sources.

Yes the Qur'an does not depend on physical books with paper and ink since these are subject to tampering. But the tampering can be detected and corrected. That is what the Egyptian scholars were trying to do in 1924. They were removing the many alefs and some other letters that were added to manuscripts over the centuries to restore it to the original way it was written. In the 1984 Saudi edition surprisingly they made an exact copy of the base text of the 1924 Egyptian edition without making any changes (for example, removing more alefs that need to be removed). The only changes are minor changes in the tajweed marks. But there is more work to do to restore to the original form. Remember that surah 85 ayah 21-22 says:

"bal huwa qur'anu mujeed. fee lawhum mahfoodh."

Indeed, it is a glorious Quran. In a preserved master tablet.

Salaam,
Mete