Proposal for the Basis of a Codepoint Extension to Unicode for the Encoding of the Quranic Manuscripts

This is a working document to enable a consensus to be established regarding a
private use area to extend the Unicode arabic specification in order to
support encoding the quran in a clear, simple and complete way.

This document is not complete but details basic steps for moving forward.

Encoding and Rendering

We distinguish between encoding and rendering. The encoding should be clear
and simple yet sufficiently powerful to allow a rich final representation.
The characters used for encoding need not map one-to-one on the actual
glyph/glyphs used as the rendering application can convert from the encoded
form to the appropriate glyph sequence. Some recent mushafs even use colours
for rendering these marks and this encoding scheme also provides easy support
for that ability.

Semantics and Glyphs

We choose a method of encoding that is based on the semantic content of the
text and not the particular local rendering of that. For instance, we create
a codepoint for “ikhfaa'” إخفاء that is placed after a nuun نون or tanween
تنوين rather than sequential fathas.

For environments where the font technology is of low power, a secondary table
of glyphs will be coded so that an attractive and authentic rendering can be
achieved. This table of glyphs would slowly become redundant as OpenType
technology and its  successors become more common.

Some extra codepoints

Ikhfaa' إخفاء
This codepoint, called Ikhfaa', would be represented in the font as a glyph
that is not intended to be rendered such as a rectangle with the work ikhfaa'
in it.
It would be placed immediately after any letter that is required to be
pronounced with ikhfaa', such as a nuun or tanween. These can be maftuuh
مفتوح, madmuum مضموم or maksuur مكسور .
In respect of tanween this is normally represented by staggering the strokes
of the fathatayn or kasratayn, or writing the dammatayn as two sequential
dammas.

In respect of the nuun then in the current saudi mushaf this is represented by
omitting the sukuun سكون (ra's alkhaa' رأس الخاء) over the nuun.

Idhhaar إظهار
This codepoint, called Idhhaar, would be represented in the font as a glyph
that is not intended to be rendered such as a rectangle with the work idhhaar
in it.
It would be placed immediately after any letter that is required to be
pronounced with idhhaar, such as a nuun or tanween. These can be maftuuh
مفتوح, madmuum مضموم or maksuur مكسور .
In the saudi mushaf idhhaar of the tanween is represented by leaving the
tanween in its normal form and idhhaar of the nuun is indicated by displaying
the sukuun over it.

Iqlaab إقلاب
This codepoint, called Iqlaab, would be represented in the font as a glyph
that is not intended to be rendered such as a rectangle with the work iqlaab
in it.
It would be placed immediately after any letter that is required to be
pronounced with iqlaab such as a nuun or tanween. These can be maftuuh مفتوح,
madmuum مضموم or maksuur مكسور .
This will normally be rendered as small meem, either over a nuun or as part of
tanween.

The muduud المدود

Here further discussion needs to take place. Madd is classified in various
ways, either by the reason for the madd or the length of the madd.  I propose
at this stage that we provide a flexible encoding that supports both
categorisations. We allow any consecutive sequence of madd codes that are not
mutually incompatible.

For example we have مد جائز منفصل in يا أيها  (the alif of the yaa). This can
be read with the length of two, four or five harakaat depending on the school
of thought. Normally we only would want to indicate a madd, but we could also
encode in a following character the categorisation of madd which most
renderers would ignore.

How the extra codepoints will be rendered

OpenType

OpenType has sufficient algorithmic power to render a mushaf direct by passing
in the proposed encoding – no further work would be required from the
application itself, though of course work would required when constructing
the font.

TrueType
The rendering application will need to convert the proposed codes into the
appropriate  glyphs or glyph combinations. For those glyphs that cannot be
currently rendered using truetype the application will use a glyph from a
secondary table in the private user area.  This would contain codepoints for
the so-called 'sequential tanween' etc.

Bitmap Fonts

Bitmap fonts cannot superimpose glyphs one above the other. Applications using
this technology will have to convert the incoming encoding entirely into
glyphs from the secondary table so as to render the quran.

Abdulhaq