Re: Quran data and issues in encoding the Quran in unicode

--- Mete Kural <metek at touchtonecorp dot com> wrote:
> Back a long time ago there was a big discussion regarding submitting a
> proposal to Unicode. Thomas Milo was involved as well. You can find it
> in the archives. I don't want to start another big discussion but just
> want to comment on your issues document found at
> http://www.pakistanopensource.org/projects/quran/files/issues-01.pdf
> and make suggestions on what I think is a good way to solve the situation.
> Everything I say here was pretty much mentioned in the emails you can find
> in the archives.

One key note that was mentioned in the past and ought to be re-mentioned is
the need for a more comprehensive solution.  What was/is noted are font
technology work-arounds and/or hacks which ought to work using the modified
opentype font (in essence the likes of "if you see two fathas back-to-back
then the font ought to replace them with a sequential fathatan" irrespective
of whether that is sought or not).  What ought to be stressed is that we
need a more general spec'ed solution that will work in all applications
that do __NOT__ even use opentype (such as the various consoles,
terminal-emulators, hand-held devices, etc).  M.Yousif had proposed a
seemingly complete solution (which I won't get into) which in essence
asks Unicode for the inclusion of 6 glyphs - the idea pre-submittal didn't
catch on (the arguments against the glyphs were marginal in my humble
opinion, but then again like most I'm biased).  What was requested/suggested
doesn't detract from the opentype method, it enables other compliant
potential solutions as well.

In short, all work-arounds/solutions sought ought to be viewed in a
broader context and not lumped into "font technology".  I know various
people have expertise in said areas and that is great, but again step-back
a bit and consider the "completeness" of this solution as well as its
implications and/or connotations - is what is being noted here even a
reasonable concern that should be acknowledged ?  If it is then we ought
to look broader, no ?

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com