Re: People prefer to work outside arabeyes ?

On Friday 10 June 2005 22:11, Mohammed Sameer wrote:
> It seems that there's a new GNU/Linux group being formed in cairo.
> http://linux.ma3refah.org/ib/index.php?showtopic=1102&hl=
> It seems that they want arabic to be the standard for them.
>
> I also found this while browsing the forum:
> http://linux.ma3refah.org/ib/index.php?showtopic=1117&st=0&#entry7667
>
> To be honest, I wanted to invite them to join arabeyes but I didn't for the
> following reason: 1) The guys are doing work alone and by their own. They
> start projects. For arabeyes to start a project we must have some
> discussions here and there 1st. This is 1, The 2nd is that we can't create
> a separate project for gimp book translation, for X translation, for Y
> translation .......... Maybe we can have a "misc. translation" projects
> with one of us being the main coordinator.

I agree with Nadim, we certainly aren't against other groups forming here and
there (although I can say from experience that such groups usually don't
last, and might go *POOF* within a month or two). My only concern is that
they don't start working on something we already are working on. For example,
GIMP. Its already on our CVS.

BTW, we didn't start a seperate project for GIMP book translation etc, because
such things are dictated by the projects themselves. It makes sense to put
GIMP in Gnome, so we translate it as such. I think thats how the rest of
world does it too.

> 2) The guys prefere to translate in whatever format they want, We can't
> simply ask them to use po files. For us if we want them to continue
> translation we must leave them to use whatever format they want.

Well, actually.............

I think we CAN simply ask them, and if they so "No", we can just say "fine".
We should give asking nicely a chance first.

> 3) Asking people to submit a bug to have a CVS account is stupid, Y can't
> one just ask on the mailing list and get it ?

True. Perhaps the KDE way of allowing people to submit bugs might be more
agreeable (you don't need a CVS account there but you do need a Bugzilla
account)

[...]
> As I did with action apps I'm welling to take care of the CVS for such
> projects.
>
> What do you think all ??

Let us see first if they are on board, and then we can take it from there. Who
knows? They might actually be willing to use CVS themselves, therefore
relieving you from the burden. If not, then and only then should we look for
an alternative solution.

Salam,

Abdulaziz,