Re: People prefer to work outside arabeyes ?

--- Mohammed Sameer <msameer at foolab dot org> wrote:
> It seems that there's a new GNU/Linux group being formed in cairo.
> http://linux.ma3refah.org/ib/index.php?showtopic=1102&hl=
> It seems that they want arabic to be the standard for them.

Great, the more efforts the better - we don't hold a monopoly on this
nor should we.  All efforts given they are open-minded and are willing
to help the greater Arabic cause the better.  All that we should worry
about is making sure we have some coordination between the groups so
that we help each other out and ultimately attain our mutual goals faster
and with less effort.

> I also found this while browsing the forum:
> http://linux.ma3refah.org/ib/index.php?showtopic=1117&st=0&#entry7667
>
> To be honest, I wanted to invite them to join arabeyes but I didn't for the
> following reason:
> 1) The guys are doing work alone and by their own. They start projects.
> For arabeyes to start a project we must have some discussions here and there
> 1st. This is 1, The 2nd is that we can't create a separate project for gimp
> book translation, for X translation, for Y translation ..........
> Maybe we can have a "misc. translation" projects with one of us being the
> main coordinator.

Sure, everything is open to debate and as history has proven we try to be
fair and open to all needs.  As for discussion, well that is the only way
we can communicate need/intent/commitment, etc.

> 2) The guys prefere to translate in whatever format they want, We can't
> simply ask them to use po files. For us if we want them to continue
> translation we must leave them to use whatever format they want.

This is a sticky point - I'd say we should always stick with .POs.  Other
file formats will come and go (the very old mozilla process was using
mysql and that got us NO where when its maintainer vanished), GNU's gettext
ain't going anywhere and is here to stay - we should continue to use it
and it alone.

> 3) Asking people to submit a bug to have a CVS account is stupid, Y can't
> one just ask on the mailing list and get it ?

Some of us weren't in favor of this method, but it does lend a sense of
continuity in that it does the following,

 a. It makes sure things are not lost (nothing falls through the cracks)
 b. All issues relating to said account are documented
 c. It teaches people to use a bug-tracking system (and not fear it)

If you think this procedure should be abanonded, by all means present an
alternative that we can use that is scalable and less error prone.  The
'admin' mailing-list would probably more appropriate for this discussion.

> 4) The above book is OOO format, I guess committing binary to the CVS is
> meaningless.

This issue really needs to be solved one way or another.  We have a growing
list of OOo files which we are and will be committing to our repository, but
CVS doesn't seem to deal with them in the accustomed CVS manner (no diffs,
etc).  Does Subversion do a better job ?  Should we hop onto that wagon ?
Do we have proper in-house expertise to resolve issues quickly (since most
are _very_ familiar now with CVS) ?  Thoughts/plans ?  Again maybe 'admin'
would be more appropriate for this talk.

> As I did with action apps I'm welling to take care of the CVS for such
> projects.
>
> What do you think all ??

Given they are in .PO formats and given there is an actual commitment from
those working on the project.  We don't want to import projects for the
shear sake of having more projects, but we do want to encourage people to
contribute and to innovate.

Hope that helps.

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html