Re: Font license issues

Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:

modified by someone else. When the user look at the font, they will see the author's name. So, who's going to be blame in this case? The
So, this problem applies to the Quran XML files as well. I don't think
we can distribute it using GPL. We need something that will be adopted
by OSS distributor , but without some illegal modification that will
compromise the data.

SO far, I don't have any suggestion /solution. Maybe others might have
a better suggestion.

I see several issues involved in certification and licensing:

1. The encoded text itself.
2. The font. You need to certify that the font has the glyphs and the Opentype tables necessary to render the encoded text properly.
3. The font services provider. You need to certify that the font service provider properly interprets the font; I don't think all font engines understand all Opentype features. (Obviously Freetype is the candidate here).
4. The rendering client. You need to certify that the client software correctly manages the encoded text and correctly requests the right font services and correctly displays the result.

That's if you want to certify the entire toolchain involved in rendering Quranic text. Then you can offer some kind of assurance that what the viewer sees is what you intended, so long as the certified toolchain is used. Of course, the user could use any toolchain to view the text, but you can explicitly note that the results are then not warranted. Ideally, one would bundle the entire thing in one package.

-gregg