Re: Volunteers for verifying the quran data

Meor Ridzuan Meor Yahaya wrote:

..
So, it is a big task to educate people on all of this issues to get it
all right.
You can say that again. Really, a lot of translation of technical stuff needs to be done. That will take a while.

me. Anyway, I'm curious, what are you trying to achieve with this thing? Seems to me a very ambitious goal, which even I don't have. My

Who knows? If you do, please let me know!

Actually a couple of things. I got started with the whole thing when I first learned SGML and realized immediately how it could be used to create hyperlinked Arabic texts, which would make learning Arabic much easier. (This was before the web). Then I got into typesetting for a while, and finally Unicode. I saw with Unicode that Arabic wasn't handled very well so I started thinking about how to do it right. That turned out to be very interesting and intellectually challenging - linguistics, math, computation, lots of stuff. I ended up thinking in terms of "if computation had been invented in Cairo or Damascus, what would text encoding look like?" Also trying to make a good latin-1 transliteration was a challenge. I'd also like to demonstrate somehow that Bidi is not necessary for Arabic, because it would be a lot easier to add Arabic support to existing software without bidi.

So I guess the short answer is: I like the challenge of designing an encoding and articulating the theoretical principles behind it (how it relates to written language, etc.) I also would like to do on the computer what I can do on paper, e.g. search based on root.

-gregg