Re: Tanween variants and Unicode

Salaam Nadim,

From: Nadim Shaikli <shaikli at yahoo dot com>
>Agreed, but at the end of the day we should be putting forth enabling
>technologies (past, present and future) for people to use and not limit
>them to what some of us think is _THE_ solution.  My bias doesn't preclude
>you from doing what you'd like, whereas your's does and there-in lies
>and serious issue.

Anybody is still free to propose these six tanween codepoints if they want to propose. There is nothing stopping them from doing so. If the UTC accepts such six codepoints the logical thing to do would be canonical equivalence with the tanween+modifier sequence that we are proposing. But we would discourage anyone from proposing such six new tanween codepoints. Although as I said they can go ahead if they want to. In the end the final decision is made not by us but the Unicode Technical Commitee.

>To propose or not propose is not a question of difficulty and we most
>certainly should not shy away from it due to that.  Again we should be
>going forward with a complete solution to what is there now, we have
>almost all we need with the exception of a few characters that might
>have been overlooked for us to have a fully specified means to encode
>the Quran.  You have a different way of doing things which doesn't
>require much from unicode and that is all great, but shouldn't we at
>least try to address the missing pieces that are in unicode now fully
>irrespective of difficulty and time ?  Why pull the plug on what is
>there now which many people are and will continue to use for generations
>to come in lieu of an alternative - let's fix/add what is needed there
>and also work on alternatives and leave it be...  Seems rather encompassing
>to me, yet I really don't understand the outright opposition to this.
>Again, don't think of this as better/worse or old/new but think of it
>as a means to enable functionality for some.

We are not pulling the plug on anyone. As I say the UTC is the decision maker. Anyone can make another proposal after our proposal if they don't like the result. Then, the decision would be up to the UTC to make.

Kind regards,
Mete

--
Mete Kural