letters as numbers in OOo 1.9.x

There is a way in OpenOffice.org 1.9.x to insert the page number field as Arabic letters rather than as numbers. This is great, but it doesn't behave the way i expected it to. To my knowledge, when you use Arabic numbers in the same way that in English we use Roman numerals (such as to number items in a list), you don't use the regular alphabetic order:
alif baa' taa' thaa' jiim...
Rather, you use the "abgad hawwaz" order:
alif baa' jiim daal haa'...
(Those of you who know the song can sing along with me: "...shakl il-'ustaaz ba'a munsagimun... :-) )

Anyway, this numbering feature in OOo uses the regular alphabetic order rather than the abgad hawwaz order. I am planning on filing a bug on this behavior, but i wanted to air the idea hear first, just in case this is correct usage for some purpose or in some country.

Bulbul