Re: Concerning 'Arabic Conjugator'

--- Youcef Rabah Rahal <rahal at arabeyes dot org> wrote:

> Any news concerning this project (and concerning the
> author) ? Did you read
> Nadim's email ?
>[...]
> Please try to provide us with more details
> concerning this project:
> usage/usefulness :-)/a possible integration with
> existing tools etc etc

Wow. I was just reading the source code for the same
project when I got this email!

The author is Dr. Chafiq Mokbel, from the University
of Balamand, Lebanon. I talked with him the last few
days and he has every intention to make the project
public domain. He demonstrated to me what it does, but
he was busy and could not show me how. He gave me the
source code (in C) but not the databases as they
require some work (I think the databases are MySQL).

To be VERY brief about it, what it does is the
following: you give it a certain Arabic verb (the bare
trinary form) and then you give it a certain "rule
code" to tell it in what form you want the verb to be
turned into. For example, if you give it the verb
كَتَب and give it the code associated with
"plural male present" you would get يكتبون as
output.

This may not seem like a great achievement but since
the code is neat and seems very expandible I think we
can even expand it to be able to conjugate nouns too.
Of course, I didn't get the program to execute on my
computer. It was developed with Visual Studio (ugh...)
so will need a few adjustments, plus it needs certain
databases for the rules.

I'm not really what you would call a great C
programmer, but I manage. I'll keep reading the source
code until I get my head around it, but I'll post it
here and see if anyone cares to take a look.

Abdulaziz,