Re: Focus

--- Mohammed Elzubeir <elzubeir at arabeyes dot org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 12:34, Ossama Khayat wrote:
> > Maybe some rules/characteristics should be
> defined.
> >

> There are no 'written' rules. Look through the
> archives and see the
> announcements of the joining of any new member to
> 'core' -- you will see
> a list of descriptions of why that person was
> nominated and asked to
> join.

I know and believe in this. I am suggesting this be
added. Just a suggestion.

> > That wouldn't be a problem, if we try to get
> closer in
> > ideas IMHO.
> >

> And as Youcef has said (which is probably more
> important) -- if adding a
> new member doesn't greatly enhance the work done,
> then there is no point
> in simply incrementing the number. For instance, a
> new member is to
> join.. what tasks would he/she take on? Does that
> help in general?

This is a very valid point. That's why you should
implement the annual voting system ;-)

> It's
> not just a club where people sit and smoke cigars
> you know ;) There has
> to be valid and conrete justification for
> incrementing the number.

Agreed.

> As Nadim has pointed out (and I second him in that),
> having an odd
> number is probably better than an even one
> (especially with votes). But
> that alone is not enough to justify incrementing the
> number. There has
> to be a real need -- someone able to take on the
> full PR front, for
> example (just thinking out loud).

Well, load distributing is a need here. I mean, if
more people are involved, maybe they'll have/feel more
responsible and be more committed to the job.

[...]
> I didn't think you did or do. As I told some folks
> on irc, all I'm
> gathering from this thread is that I better get my
> act together ;)

That's what I was aiming at. 'Act' and not 'person' by
himself/herself.

> It is
> just that it does seem that you have written your
> original email with a
> load of emotions and hit send a bit too fast

.. emotions, yes! But those are worries of things
being (having to be) done.

> -- I
> make it a habit to
> re-read and edit emails before sending them
> (especially ones that may or
> may not offend people).

Apologies If I offended any one.

> In any case, this whole discussion is a very healthy
> one. I am
> definitely glad it's up in the open and don't mind
> criticism. I
> criticize myself and others freely -- and accept it
> from others just the
> same.

Great. That's the environment I'd love to be in =)

Ossama