Re: Focus

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 12:34, Ossama Khayat wrote:

> > There is no rule that we go by to include people
> > into the core group.
>
> Maybe some rules/characteristics should be defined.

There are no 'written' rules. Look through the archives and see the
announcements of the joining of any new member to 'core' -- you will see
a list of descriptions of why that person was nominated and asked to
join.

> [..]
>
> That wouldn't be a problem, if we try to get closer in
> ideas IMHO.

And as Youcef has said (which is probably more important) -- if adding a
new member doesn't greatly enhance the work done, then there is no point
in simply incrementing the number. For instance, a new member is to
join.. what tasks would he/she take on? Does that help in general? It's
not just a club where people sit and smoke cigars you know ;) There has
to be valid and conrete justification for incrementing the number.

As Nadim has pointed out (and I second him in that), having an odd
number is probably better than an even one (especially with votes). But
that alone is not enough to justify incrementing the number. There has
to be a real need -- someone able to take on the full PR front, for
example (just thinking out loud).

> [..]
>
> > We don't usually look for technical prowess as a
> > main factor.
>
> I didn't understand how the word 'capable' would be
> defined, and so I mentioned that.

Read above.

> Then you got me wrong. I didn't mean to say "Leave",
> when I said "step aside". I just meant to give the
> chance to others to get _deeply_ involved, more than
> just being a "Member of Arabeyes.org".

'Core' doesn't have a fixed number of seats, so-to-speak..

> Because I replied quoting your mail, doesn't mean I am
> directing my speech towards you.
> I have nothing against you, yourself, nor will I have
> a personal any personal problem with any of you.

I didn't think you did or do. As I told some folks on irc, all I'm
gathering from this thread is that I better get my act together ;) It is
just that it does seem that you have written your original email with a
load of emotions and hit send a bit too fast -- I make it a habit to
re-read and edit emails before sending them (especially ones that may or
may not offend people).

In any case, this whole discussion is a very healthy one. I am
definitely glad it's up in the open and don't mind criticism. I
criticize myself and others freely -- and accept it from others just the
same.

Regards,
Mohammed Elzubeir