Re: Unicode Quranic Glyphs Proposal

--- Mohammed Yousif <mhdyousif at gmx dot net> wrote:
> Here are my comments:
> - For Glyph 8, certainly the isolated/initial form for Lam Alef
>   with floating hamza is required (it's pronounced like Lam Alef
>   with Madda above but tends to be shorter in pronouncation).

OK, so the isolated/initial form is needed no question there.

>   But about the final form, I haven't been able to find a sample
>   for it in the Qur'an that I became close to believe that it's
>   not used but am not sure so please if anyone knows for sure,
>   point me to it.

Can this point be confirmed ?  Can others note otherwise ?  Should
we exclude this as a requirement ?

> - There is another glyph that I don't know how to encode at all
>   that is not in the proposal, it's the "Sajda Line"; a horizontal
>   line above all the of characters that marks the "Sajda" place.
>   Ossama suggested that we may do this by a small horizontal line
>   above every character that marks the "Sajda" place.

Whatever solution we come-up with it should be spec'ed and
included in the proposal.  The whole point of this is to
standardize the process.  I'm not sure if this exists already
as part of another character-set/map, but we can easily propose
a composing character (akin to fatha/damma/etc) that is a
horizontal line.  If this horiz_line is noted after a character
and after the harakat it will end-up being placed on the very
top of whatever glyph it follows.  What needs to be noted is
that these various horiz_lines will need to be aligned across
characters in case the various different characters have a
myriad of harakat.

>   The problem with it is that it needs to be rendered carefully:
>     + It needs to be above all of the other harakat.
>     + It needs to be in the same position on the Y-Axis
>       as the other portion that is above the next/previous
>       character of the characters that marks the "Sajda" place.

Yup, agreed 100%.  I think we need to see if something similar isn't
already done elsewhere (specially in being able to physically specify
the Y-axis location).

>     + It needs to be connected to the small line above the
>       next/previous character of the characters that marks
>       the "Sajda" place.

This should not be too much of a problem.  If the horiz_line was
as wide as the previous character it will connect automatically
or else we can potentially propose 2 glyphs a short starter/ender
and a longer one that connects (with its ends protruding outside
the character's width - akin to what medial characters do now).

Let's please conclude on the above and get the latest copy of
a sample font file to bundle it and send it to unicode.org