how to install encoding ?

hi every body
salam oullah alaykoum
I recently installed knoppix 3.3 which is a standard
debian installation, no arabic supported, I think at
least not completly.

I want to use lyx with arabtex, which requires
iso8859-6 and iso10646, these are not installed, it s
true that you see arabic letter in the lyx window but
not the correct letters. It used perhaps another
encoding.
Before this I used RH9.0 , with the customizing i
could choose of coure the appropriate software.

my question is where can I find theses encoding  and
how to solve my problem.

thank you very much

salam oulaykoum

bela